Thursday, October 8, 2009

Another quick one

We had a surprise birthday party for DH two weekends ago: I told him we'd invite his parents over for a nice, quiet dinner and then had everyone else show up about half an hour later. It helps that I live next to a parking lot, so the cars would be hidden. I don't know how I pulled it off, since he's so sneaky, but it certainly helped that Mom and R came over to assist, transforming our house into an oasis of party-readiness and comfort. I couldn't have done it without them! Everyone had a great time and it was just very chill and fun and a good Saturday night. It was just about fifteen people or so, and they brought food as well in lieu of gifts. This also saved me from having to explain to T why I was making food for 20 for just three people. Oh, and I made my friend H's mother's mushroom and onion soup:

- lots of different kinds of mushrooms (portobello, white, shitake, cremini, etc.)
- lots of different kinds of onions (red, white, scallions, shallots, Vidalia, even garlic, etc.)
- a thickener of flour, milk, salt and pepper, and melted butter (can't remember the proportions--ask and I'll find out)

- Cut up and saute the onions and mushrooms until onions are translucent and mushrooms are cooked through
- Throw all into a huge pot and puree
- Add milk to thin

It's T's favorite!

Anyway, for our main course, we did pizzas. I'm telling you, this is the way to go. Even if you have small kids, they can help by putting toppings on. We had a few with pepperoni, a few without, and my new fave is to combine mozzarella with ricotta and basil and just add sauce. YUM. Do it! Go now! Oh, and another I just missed the season on: Goat cheese, basil, and plums on a pizza. How's that for gourmet, chickadees? Finally, and my friend M. made this amazing cake--I'll have to get a picture. She experimented with fondant and created this beautiful Masonic symbol:
...and it came out great and tasty!

OK, gotta go--two more periods to teach, one hour of alternative ed, and then off to the hockey game. I need the distraction!

No comments: