Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A glass of water

In the movie White Men Can't Jump (yes, I'm actually referencing that silly movie), T and I always made fun of one scene in which the main female protagonist, Gloria, and her boyfriend, Billy, are lying in bed.  She tells him she's thirsty and he gets her a glass of water.  She then gets angry with him for doing this, saying,

"See. if I'm thirsty. I don't want a glass of water, I want you to sympathize. I want you to say, 'Gloria, I too know what it feels like to be thirsty. I too have had a dry mouth.' I want you to connect with me through sharing and understanding the concept of dry mouthedness."

Billy pretty much says she's overthinking it-- if you're thirsty, get some water.  Solve the problem.  T and I reference it every so often when we think someone's acting like Gloria.

Last night I realized, to some extent, I've become Gloria.  In looking at myself critically, I realize that I have what I consider a rather female tendency to want to get sympathy for a problem, to discuss it, but not necessarily to fix it.  Now, I'm not trying to bash myself--I think there's definitely valid reason to examine a problem.  However, if examination doesn't lead to solving of said problem, sometimes it's a waste of effort and emotion.  Consequently, I shall attempt from here on out to quench my metaphorical thirst with metaphorical water...I'll likely still examine my frustrations and problems but will attempt to solve or improve them as well.

No comments: