Monday, January 26, 2009

My husband is also a busy bee

This is a reference to a post that Feather Nester put up a few days ago about her industrious husband. Well, it's no dining room table, but he and our friend M did put in a new kitchen floor this weekend. Color me impressed.

In case you forgot, here's our old, gorgeous vinyl:

Notice the beautiful green-brown, perma-stained glory? I know what you're thinking: "Fools! Who could give up such a floor to a mere whim for a more 'modern', 'clean' look? What utter foppery!"

The menfolk began the process using laminate wood:


Ah, but feast your eyes upon this marvel!


Doesn't it look great? I think my favorite part, aside from how terrific it looks, is that Penny would not walk on it at first, as you see here:

See the scrap in the bottom right-hand corner near the trashcan? That's a large dog treat for her to chew that she whined at until I moved it close enough for her to dash onto the floor, grab it, and go safely back to the rug. I don't know if she didn't like the newness of it or if she feared she would slip...but it took us a lot of coaxing and food to get her to even put all four paws on there. We, however, plan to eat all our meals in there from now on. A special thanks goes out to M, who devoted his entire weekend to us, forcing his lovely wife H to come eat a delicious meal at my parents' house with me so she wouldn't be alone while the guys ate leftovers. It was a real chore for her, I could tell.

Next project: new cabinets. Those probably won't come for a while, but we are going to paint our dining room, so that'll be fun.

Enjoy your day!

p.s. You'll all be relieved to know that Penny seems to have gotten over her new-floor fear, particularly since that's where we put her food. It's all about priorities.

2 comments:

feather nester said...

So cute. What a sweetie. Both the dog and the husband. :)

I remember when we first moved into our apartment in Philly and the cats were afraid to set paw on the hardwood floors, too. We always thought it was because they were so shiny (from years and years of refinishing) that they looked wet, but who knows.

Your new floor looks AWESOME.

Sarah Berry said...

Wow, wow, wow!! I can't believe how good they look and I can't believe how talented your hubby is!!! So impressive... definitely a keeper :)