Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tiny Miracles, or how I got my husband to eat tofu

Yes, I did it. Here's the easy, tasty smoothie I skilfully tricked him with:

- 1/2 cu silken tofu
- 1/2 cu soymilk (I'm sure you can use regular milk)
- 2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 frozen sliced banana

Put the first four ingredients in the blender and mix. As you're blending, throw in the banana slices one at a time so they all smooth out. Drink with lip-smacking gusto. It's incredibly tasty and it's 5 Weight Watcher points, plus it has 17 grams of protein, so it's essentially a protein shake that actually tastes good.

We've gotten into recipes lately, as I found time to rip a bunch out of Cooking Light recipes. The new year has brought renewed interest in eating well, healthily, and Weight-Watcher friendly, so I've found a few new faves, including a ridiculously easy Shrimp Fra Diavolo and a pita appetizer that we fell in love with on the spot. I'll post them for anyone who wants them; I just don't have the exact quantities in front of me.

For me, playing with spices makes all the difference in the world. I read that paprika works well for alleviating fevers and colds, so for two days last week I came home and chowed on popcorn sprinkled with paprika (and butter. Ohhhh, yes). Cardamom in your tea helps with indigestion. Cinnamon has some kind of amazing effect. Plus they really do make dull food extra tasty. I know the pita chip app involves something as simple as cooking spray, salt, garlic powder, and red and black pepper. Yum! Ooh, and I bought this delicious, fair-trade, organic hot chocolate mix from my co-worker J (your students looked a little forlorn today without you, BTW) that has jalapenos crushed in there--such a delicious combo! Temperature and spicy hot chocolate-- so tasty....

Mouth watering yet?

No comments: