Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Happy belated, Penny!

Although Penny was born on January 31 one year ago, I've just gotten around to blogging about it. Be thankful I don't blog about her as often as I'd like to, because I do not want you to think I'm one of those folks who lives solely for their pets and little else. However, I do have to write that she brings joy to our lives every day and seeing her little tail wag lowers my blood pressure and makes me smile. I could have had the crummiest day in a long time, and when I walk in the door and see that sweet face, everything seems better. I understand completely why rehabilitation programs in prison have waiting lists for inmates to work with and train dogs, because animals give such unconditional love. Imagine this hulking, tattooed criminal getting on the floor with a lab and cooing, "Who's my girl? Who's my sweetie?" I've read a little about the programs and they screen VERY carefully, and so many prisoners want to do it that they behave beautifully to show they can work with these animals. Seriously, who can resist this little face?

This was her in the car as we brought her home last March as a first anniversary gift to each other. She came straight from the breeder's and smelled like the eighteen dogs she lived with, but we loved her immediately. Weighing about seven pounds, she was so little I gave her a bath in the kitchen sink. She slowly learned how to go up the stairs, not to go into the basement, and that putting her paws on our legs and looking beseechingly at us while wagging her tail would melt us in about three seconds.


Now she's a bit bigger, a few shades lighter, and has so much personality that she makes us laugh all the time. We still have some work to do training her, but she's taught us so much as well, from remembering to close the gate EVERY SINGLE TIME to appreciating just lying in bed with a fuzzy little warm body on top of the covers, feeling the weight on our feet. Penny has woken me in the middle of the night to give me kisses and just when I was about to get annoyed, she suddenly plopped down with her head on my chest and all was forgiven.

She makes us happy and drives us crazy and we have to remind ourselves that she's a dog sometimes when we overworry, but I wouldn't trade her for anything. Happy first birthday, little Pen! We love you!

1 comment:

feather nester said...

Whatever, she's your fur baby, blog about her as much as you want. I can't believe she's a year old already! It seems like just yesterday...sigh.

She looks a little like Chewy in that last pic! I love the shaggy dog look.

And as for the over-worrying, I used to think we were overthinking everything with Chewy and his training, but he's turned out to be SUCH a great dog. We really couldn't ask for him to be much closer to perfect, and I think a lot of it has to do with how consciously we PARENTED him before the Papoose was born. So, don't chide yourself, you're growing a fabulous pooch, I know it!