Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A stray can of coconut milk later...

That's it. When school starts again, I've decided that when I get home, instead of unwinding by sitting down, I plan to cook. I've enjoyed it so much this summer that I just don't want to give it up. I can control what goes in, which helps with the healthy and weight conscious aspect of things, and it means that when we go out to dinner, we're more likely to make a good choice because it won't happen as often. The fact that a sushi place just opened within walking distance of our house--and we live in suburbia, where they fear such wacky cuisine and consider it living on the edge to eat raw fish, ew--makes this even more enticing. If you read this blog at all, you know I've loved sharing my recipes, so I warn you, it may continue.

I still operate in the "follow the recipe" stage; I don't have the skill that some friends do, the ones who can open a cabinet and whip together an amazing meal from a can of kidney beans, ramen noodles, mustard, pepper, and a bag of rubber bands (Yes, Yum and Dr. M, I'm thinking of you). My friend M. has begun to teach me a few things, as well--you can thank her for the jicama-apple slaw and the avocado-cashew cakes. I feel fine about using recipes--I don't aspire to get on Top Chef; just to create meals that DH and I find tasty and sharable from time to time.

One of my new favorite re-found cookbooks is Now and Later, a Weight Watchers cookbook that has you make one recipe (now) that gives you leftovers for another (later). Last time Mom and R. cleaned out their kitchen cabinet, they gave us, among other items, a can of coconut milk. I took it because, well, it came in a bag with other items. I kept it because, well, I don't know why. But in this cookbook I found a recipe for Vietnamese chicken curry that called for...(guess) coconut milk. Ohh...it was so good. I served it to DH and a friend and both raved. Now I have leftovers for Thai chicken salad. I forgot to take a picture of the first, but I'll get one of the second.

Happy Wednesday and goodbye, Ted Kennedy.

2 comments:

Wonderland said...

What a wonderful and inspiring post. thanks!

Unknown said...

Rubber bands are full of wholesome fiber.
Also, Sushi within walking distance = happy.