Friday, June 30, 2006

meditations

So call me crazy, but I have started getting up a little before 6am to do yoga with the show on the Oxygen network. My excuse? It's summer, I'm not working, and I have a fear of "cankles". So far it's left me much more awake and realizing that I don't quite have the balance the people on the show do. It's also made me yearn a bit for a bigger place: I have a tiny open space to do the yoga, but that's after dragging a trunk out of the way and putting the yoga mat on a diagonal. So I guess that makes me inventive. But I do like it, especially the relaxation at the end where you're just lying there breathing and listening to relaxing music. I highly suggest it. I may have to TiVo it once school starts--I doubt I'll have the time in the morning to get to work on time. Jeez, I guess I better get TiVo. Ooh, TiVo! I'll never leave the house again. Mmm...TiVo....

Totally different note: How do people have weddings every year, every weekend (not the same people, hopefully) and not go absolutely crazy and/or bankrupt? When did it become the norm to have to spend an average of $18,000 (check this site out if you're engaged--gives some tips) to
$30,000 on five hours of your life? I know, I know, it's one of the most important days of a person's life and it will give me a lifetime of memories. I am deeply excited about this. But everything leading up to it is beginning to drive me crazy...and I fear I'm not even in the throes of planning. Most of it has to do with a tenuous budget--waiting on money that's supposed to be coming but hasn't yet. Add to that a bride and groom with multiple parental divorces (OK, multiple on my side, one on his) and you've suddenly got lots more guests. It's like the ripple effect...or that old Prell commercial with Heather Locklear where everyone wants to have this person there, and so on, and so on, and so on....

Now, don't get me wrong; most of family and in-laws-to-be have been lovely and helpful. I just never knew how difficult narrowing down a list of people could be. And do you KNOW how expensive hors d'ouevres are???? No shrimp cocktail at this event, baby! You're all getting the cheese plate, and if you're lactose intolerant, too damn bad! Can you have a potluck wedding and not look cheap? My friend M. makes these great spinach balls. Ooh, and I can make my famous hot nacho dip! I can use the reception place's warmers. I'll even use lactose-free cheese, be nice.

What I really want is a celebration of DF (he's not the dear husband yet; he's the dear fiance')'s and my coming together, and I want as many of our friends there as possible. I want good food and dancing and photographs for memories. And I don't want to bankrupt anyone to do it.

Maybe Vegas is another option....

1 comment:

Ouiser said...

I promise, it will all be okay, and I think I can safely say that we've all been there. Coming from a divorced family, I can completely relate to the guest list woes. I don't know about your fmaily size, but I'm southern, honey, and southern families tend to be large. It was a nightmare, but we got through it, and everyone we loved was there. There are lots of little ways you can save money, so if you need tips or help, just let me know. It will all be fine...maybe you should go lay on the floor and listen to some relaxing music for awhile:)