Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Getting into the swing of things

I'm beat, kids. Beat. Right now I should be grading my umpteen papers but instead I'm venting a bit before the bell rings and I head out for crew practice. Again, don't get me wrong, I love being here. The students are enthusiastic and bright and always make me think. Call me crazy, but I love it when a student asks a question about a book that I can't legitimately answer; I love it when they make me think. It's a fantastic way to spend my day, actually getting to do what I was trained to do instead of babysitting and comparing notes on who got suspended today.

However, I am not used to the pace yet and I am exhausted. DF has been wonderful and supportive and I don't know how I would be doing any of this without him. Also, in case you didn't know, September is Schmooze the Parents month, at least for the first two weeks. Last night was Parents' Night and once I stopped talking a mile a minute and relaxed, things went fine. Don't give 'em time to ask questions--that's the key! But apparently I came off ok and have passed that first judgment, so that's a relief. Plus afterward my boss paid for dinner, so you can't fault that.

The best part? I GOT MY LICENSE PLATES! I can drive my car!!!!! Last night was gross and rainy, too, so I was deeply relieved not to have to zip around on my trusty little bike. I'll still trot it out, but I was wearing a short skirt and heels today (I do that about once a week; the rest of the time it's flats or the fabulous Dansko clogs) and was glad to have a car to get into instead of cramming my clothes in a plastic bag and changing once I got to school. No more Clark Kent moves.

But the bell just rang, so I'm going to correct some more papers before I drive a small bus full of happy, screamy freshmen girls to practice. One more parent meeting tonight and then I think I'm done with those for a while--whew.... I promise my posts will be more varied soon!

No comments: