Monday, June 4, 2007

Question

Does anyone have a line on how best to bid on eBay? I am trying to get a bike and someone keeps outbidding me! And if it's you, cut it out! This is a really nice little Electra and the real thing's usually $400. The only thing I've ever won on eBay is a stuffed Kermit the Frog doll exactly like one I had as a child. I got it for $7. I'm not an eBay freak who spends her whole life bidding and challenging other eBay-ers; some people make a life out of this.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

feather nester said...

Unfortunately, there are no magical tips. It's just going to come down to who wants to spend more. But I will warn you that people will often outbid you in the last 30 seconds of the auction. So, if possible, you might want to be around as it comes to a close. Just keep refreshing and get ready to bid quickly, if need be. But know you're upper limit! People often get sucked into the game of trying to win and end up spending much more than they meant to. Good luck!

Sarah Berry said...

In addition to the frantic bidding in the last few minutes of the auction, here's another cautionary tale for you... don't forget about the cost of shipping.

Bryan ecstatically ordered us a 6' cat tree for $12 and forgot to check the shipping, which was $75. We still got a cat tree that normally costs $300 in the pet stores, but not for $12.

I also noticed that they have an option where you can put in your absolute top price and Ebay will automatically bid for you in specific increments up to that price - that way if someone else outbids you, you automatically outbid them in return, but only up to the price you specify.

Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Also! People have software that allows them to outbid in the last few seconds. I'm not kidding.
Lame? You bet your sweet bippy it's lame...