Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Latest Harry Potter

First of all, for those who don't know, I willingly admit I am a Harry Potter freak. I obsess over the books, think they're some of the best writing out there in the genre, and want to live at Hogwarts. I buy the first edition books from amazon.co.uk so I can have "the real thing". I did this after I realized they Americanized the ones over here, substituting "sneakers" for "trainers" and the like. Plus I think the covers look better. When I finished my master's degree in English Education, DH gave me a replica of Professor McGonagall's wand because, as he said, "I would've gotten you Dumbledore's, but I know she's the best female teacher, so I chose that one." Yes, awwws all around for DH's thoughfulness. I keep it on my desk at school. When HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban came out, I allowed myself one chapter a day to make the book last longer. I preordered my last three copies as soon as I could.

However, I don't think I can do that with this last one. I know I'll read it as fast as I can, avoiding all news and radio coverage because inevitably morons out there will start off their story with, "Fans all around the world mourn the death of Harry Potter" or some crap like that, RUINING it for anyone who hasn't finished the book or plans to read them in the future. Why don't people think???? DH already plans to cook for me so I don't have to do anything but read. I really don't know how Rowling will end it. Truly. As my friend said, "She's British. Brits don't end everything all happy." Clearly she has proved to us that nobody is safe (and I'll say no more, as some of you may not know what I mean. See, news people?), as evidenced in prior books. Thus I can guarantee that I won't post this weekend. No, I'll wrap myself in one, final Potter adventure. I can't wait.

This past weekend DH and I saw Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at the IMAX theater. I haven't seen anything remotely 3D in years, and I have to admit it rocked with the glasses and a GIANT screen which covered the entire wall. We put our glasses on as they headed to the Ministry, and then the whole action scene was in 3D. Very, very cool. I agree with both feathernester and her husband that I liked the way they put things together but left out parts I wish they hadn't. I realize that editing requires this, but I still feel much of the humor was left out to make it darker and they didn't give Ron or Hermione much development at all. Couldn't they have added that they got prefect? I also wish they could've added some of the Quidditch elements but again, editing must prevail. Like Mr. Feathernester, I always prefer the book to the movie; you always get more with the book. I just think Book Five gives a much richer experience than the movie.

To that end, did anyone else notice that the Dementors in Little Whinging were NOT explained? Why not? Doesn't that prove even more strongly the evil side of the character who put them there? Made no sense to me. Great job on casting with Bellatrix Lestrange, Umbridge, and Luna Lovegood. And the three main characters have really begun to prove their range; I see them doing other films and productions after this successfully. Daniel Radcliffe's already gone the other way with his role in Equus (and if you don't know the play, trust me when I say it's about as far away from Harry Potter as you can get). Long story short, go see it. The special effects are great, it will never replace the book, but I'll still get it when it comes out on video.

2 comments:

Ouiser said...

Oh. i can't wait. i'm starting to whine about having to wait a few more days for the book.

feather nester said...

Two more things I meant to mention in my comments on the movie in my own blog: (1) Did anyone notice Daniel Radcliffe's major scoliosis? Not uncommon, given his age, but it was blindingly obvious to me, poor guy. (2) You liked Emma Watson's acting, eh? Hubby and I not so much. In fact, all her complaining about how she can't find another role because she says she's being typecast...I think it's her horrendous timing with dialogue that's holding her back. IMHO...