Saturday, September 10, 2011

September fare

Although I won't have that first day of school, I plan to continue the tradition of the first day of school meal; keep up tradition.  Plus as the nights cool off and the air has that hint of fall to it, my mind turns to hearty soups and stews.  I love this time of year, fleeting as it is.  This one is super easy!

Crock Pot Turkey Sausage and Tortellini Stew

- 6 oz. turkey sausage, sliced (if you don't have the pre-cooked kind, I'd throw it in a skillet until it's just cooked through)
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 can french onion soup
- 1-2 cups frozen green beans (I love extra)
- 3 c. water
- 1-2 c. coleslaw mix
- 1 small package cheese tortellini
- grated Parmesan cheese

Throw everything but the tortellini and cheese into a crock pot and stir to mix.  8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.  After the time is up, add the tortellini and cook on high for 15 more minutes.  Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.  Makes about six hearty servings.  NOTE:  You may want to add more water to thin it out a bit.

It's that easy!

No comments: